WELCOME TO DANNIE'S PLACE AND ENJOY YOU'RE RECIPE HUNTING »

Saturday, January 31, 2009

White Bean Chili

I love this Chili. So far I've made it for the last two years for our church's New Years Ever Communion/chili cook off. Unfortunately only the first batch was successful in my eyes. Everyone loved it both times. Sadly the last two times that I made it I didn't check to make sure I had all of the ingredients, and once I chopped up parsley instead of cilantro. Don't ask it was a terrible night! But I give you a warning, it really needs to be made with a special kind of fake chicken to be perfect. I can't guarantee results if you use morning star or smart strips. But that's up to you.

You will need:

  • 1lb dried navy beans (prepared according to directions to rehydrate them)
  • 5 cups of vegetable broth (or chicken stock meat eaters)
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 1 tbs minced garlic
  • 3/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped green chilies (fresh or canned)
  • 1 lb fake chicken (I prefer Quorn chicken pieces)(or real chicken for the meat version)
  • 1 tbs ground cumin
  • 1 tbs ground oregano
  • 1 to 2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • a pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

  1. Rinse and drain the beans well after soaking. Place in a large pot with stock and boil.
  2. Add garlic, onion and chilies to hot butter and saute in a pan. Add to the beans.
  3. Add chicken, cumin, oregano, pepper, and all other ingredients to the pot and lower heat to medium.
  4. Cook covered 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment