WELCOME TO DANNIE'S PLACE AND ENJOY YOU'RE RECIPE HUNTING »

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tomato Dumpling Soup

I was watching an Amish cooking show years ago and this was a dish they prepared. I've always loved Chicken and Dumplings so since becoming a vegetarian I missed the dumplings a lot. So I tried to find the recipe she used. I wasn't successful, but I did find many people were looking for the same thing. Then I stumbled on an old Cherokee recipe, and decided to try it. It's pretty tasty. I hope you think the same thing.

You will need:
  • 1 large onion (chopped)
  • 4 minced garlic cloves
  • 3 tbs olive oil
  • 6 cups fresh chopped tomatoes or equivalent canned
  • 2-3 tsp chili powder
  • 2tbs flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken if you eat meat)
  • biscuit mix (I prefer bisquick)
  1. In a large pot combine all the ingredients except the biscuit mix. Bring to a boil and let simmer 20-30 minutes.
  2. Let cool enough that you can pour it into a blender and puree until smooth.
  3. Place back in the pot and heat up until simmering again.
  4. Prepare biscuit mix (milk can be substituted by using unsweetened soymilk or nutmilk)and drop by spoonfuls into simmering soup.
  5. Cover and cook about 10 min

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment