WELCOME TO DANNIE'S PLACE AND ENJOY YOU'RE RECIPE HUNTING »

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Amazing Moist Banana Bread


I happened to just stumble on this recipe today (which i modified to be vegan and my kid friendly). It was the first one on the search results, and had rave reviews. Plus, it used more bananas than most recipes that I've tried. This was a plus, because I had 4 overripe bananas ready for making bread, and I didn't feel like making two batches, or having to freeze more bananas. (We already have quite a few). So I went ahead and whipped up a batch. Now I'm not allowed to taste it for a few more weeks (diet restrictions) But my ever willing husband was more than happy to be my guinea pig. First reaction was akin to something only seen in the bedroom ;) if you catch my drift. Followed by "Whoa! That is so good and moist!" After he calmed down I grilled him, "Is it sweet enough? Should it be sweeter? Would you guess there's not "sugar" in it? or that it's vegan?" All the aswers were no, except that it could Maybe use a few more dates. Maybe. So, if like me, you love your banana bread extra sugary, you may add more dates, or just use brown sugar. Or mabye sprinkle some sugar on top before baking. But otherwise, this recipe is delicious, healthy, and something you won't have to feel guilty about scarfing down... Unless of course you slather it in gobs of butter like I do.
 
 
You will need:
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour (all purpose works if you want less healthy)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup vegan margarine
  • 3/4 cups mashed dates (3/4 cup brown sugar will work if no dates)
  • 2 tsp ground flax
  • 6tsp boiling water
  • 2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas
 
Directions:
 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (174 C) and lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt
  3. In a blender combine butter, dates, flax, and boiling water until well blended. (I found this the best way for my dates to be chopped well and needed the liquids from the other ingredients to make it work. Not sure if it will work as well if you don't have a Vitamix or other great blender. If you're worried, you can always just use the brown sugar and skip the blender.)
  4. Scoop date mixture into the mashed bananas and mix well with a spoon.
  5. Pour in flour mixture, and stir just until all of the flour is moist. DO NOT overstir!
  6. Pour batter into prepared pan
  7. Bake for 60-65 min until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  8. Let bread cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.


 
 
This was the first slice, just before Jerrod devoured it in two bites. Yup, it was that good.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment