WELCOME TO DANNIE'S PLACE AND ENJOY YOU'RE RECIPE HUNTING »

Friday, September 28, 2012

Lentil and Tomato Soup



This recipe was found out of necessity. I had run out of easy things to make for dinner and with the next trip to the grocery store several days away I turned to the staples of my cupboard, and searched for a recipe that would use only what I had. This one looked edible and though I lacked several of the ingredients I made it with what I had and it turned out pretty good. I'm assuming it would be much better with the things i didn't have. We'll see :)
You will need:
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 5 1/2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups dried lentils
  • 2 tbs chopped fresh dill divided
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 dried red chile pepper
  • 1 (8oz ) can tomato sauce
  • 1 tbs balsalmic vinegar
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

  1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
  2. Add onion, carrot, celery and galic; cook 10 min, or until the vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
  3. Add water, dried lentils, 1 tbs dill, bay leaves, chile, and tomato sauce.
  4. Bring to a boil;
  5. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
  6. Stir in remaining 1 tbs dill, vinegar, salt and black pepper,;
  7. discard bay leaves and chile.
  8. Sprinkle with cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment